Programs

Media safety: PRO-7 sets up programs for journalists against threats

Police Brigadier General Roderick Augustus Alba, director of PRO-7

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The Central Visayas Regional Police Bureau (PRO-7) has established media safety programs.

Police Brigadier General Roderick Augustus Alba, director of PRO-7, said he had already ordered his staff to meet with reporters here and talk about the issues and concerns they had, and more importantly, if the latter had received death threats, and could it be in line with the nature of the journalists’ work or their personal affairs.

Alba said those affected could contact the police chief immediately regarding the concern.

The national headquarters has also ordered police units here to designate an information officer who will respond to reported threats journalists may encounter.

READ: CCPO ready to ensure media safety ahead of 2022 election

Alba also stressed that PRO-7 would be transparent in its duties, ensuring that its actions would not jeopardize its police investigation, as the premature release of information to the public could jeopardize its ongoing investigation.

“Hi Police Chief, I want them to be transparent. A speaking commander… As for giving information, it’s on a case-by-case basis,” he added.

With respect to the issue of home visits in the National Capital Region, which has generated media concern, Alba, for her part, said that to prevent a similar problem from happening again, they would not be implementing home visits here.

He said he would rather just pass that on to Press Corp and have a dialogue with its members.

LILY: The visit of a police officer to the home of a journalist worries the media

The issue of media safety and police house visits was opened up after a Twitter post from GMA TV’s JP Soriano last Saturday, where Soriano said a police officer, who was in plainclothes, went to his home. him out of the blue and checked on his safety. .

The policeman showed himself properly to Soriano and even handed over an ID card saying the policeman wanted to see and ask if he had recently received threats following the attacks on journalists, including the case of Percy Lapid killed on 3 last October.

The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines, for its part, said the visits would “only add to our anxiety as they took place without coordination with newsrooms.”

RELATED STORIES

Lawmakers push probe into police media visits

Lagman: Cops visiting reporters unexpectedly is like ‘Oplan Tokhang’

Lawmakers alarmed by PNP visits to journalists’ homes

Eastern Police District Defends Journalist Home Visits

240 CV police recruits prepare for RTC training in Consolacion

/dbs

Read more

Disclaimer: Comments uploaded to this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of the management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem inconsistent with our editorial standards.