💌 Do you want this daily summary emailed to you? Sign up for Billy Penn’s free newsletter and it will arrive in your inbox every morning.
DA Scorned, But Does City Violence Spending Work?
Representatives for Harrisburg voted to despise DA Krasner for refusing to comply with a subpoena from the Pennsylvania House panel convened to impeach him.
- Democrats who voted for the motion – and there were several — mostly procedural issues cited, not the panel’s main issue: how Krasner’s policies affected gun violence in Philadelphia.
Beyond the AD, city spending on violence is booming, reports The Inquirer, but job creation programs like READI keep getting pushed back. Lack of accountability and coordination is a common theme, BP reported last year.
Philadelphia libraries seek to extend hours, but still face staffing delays
As it tries to increase hours, the free library needs to fill 300 vacancies – but, as several readers have noticed, the positions are not advertised.
- Some job offers are coming soona spokesman told Billy Penn, including for the library assistant. They should be active around the third week of September.
Asha Prihar will look at the factors behind why it’s so difficult, but in the meantime, you can register here be notified as soon as vacancies are posted.
RECAP: What else happened?
$ = paying
Gun Violence Prevention Weekly Note (with PCGVR)
By the Numbers in Philadelphia
- 62: Registered gunshot victims Last week so far, up from 47 the previous week. [City Controller via @PCGVR]
- 1701: Shooting victims This yearup 5% over last year [PCGVR]
- 386: Year to date murders3% ahead of last year’s pace and up 76% from five years ago [Philly Police]
Mayor Kenney begins at the Navy Yard for a groundbreaking (9 a.m.) on a $19 million project that rebuild and add trees to the “quay wall”, aka the part of Broad Street that runs along the water.
Kenney then joins the bi-weekly virtual briefing on the city’s response to gun violence (1 p.m.), which focuses on security plans for this weekend’s Made in America festival. You can listen live on WURD Radio 900 AM/96.1 FM or watch on facebook.
ON THE CALENDAR
👻 Pop-up Halloween Bar Nightmare Before Tinsel opens for the season on Sansom Street in the city center with a decor of pirate skeletons and screens showing old horror movie clips, plus themed drinks and snacks. (4 p.m. from Thursday, September 15 in the fall)
💵 The Baltimore Avenue Dollar Stroll is back to close the summer with offers from $1 to $5 from some of West Philly’s most popular local businesses. (5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 15)